Pompeo also said he anticipates the United States would talk with DPRK officials "fairly quickly after we return to our home countries", with engagement between the two sides likely happening in the next week.
The program also showed an awkward moment of Trump reaching out to shake the hand of a North Korean general, Minister of the People's Armed Forces No Kwang Chol, who instead saluted the American president. The next major exercise with South Korea is known as Ulchi Freedom Guardian; last year's version was held for 11 days in August and involved about 17,500 USA troops. But when Trump announced his decision to halt them, he characterized them as "provocative" and as "war games". The Pentagon has said Mattis was consulted, but has not offered clarification on what will be canceled. Effort to kill Trump tariffs blocked Lawmakers target ZTE, Huawei in defense bill Dem lawmaker: Trump must be held accountable for Puerto Rico deaths MORE (D-Ariz.) wrote Thursday in a letter to Mattis. In the past, some estimates for smaller exercises have been about $2 million, while some larger ones have cost $15 million or more - all relatively minor expenses for a department with a budget now exceeding $700 billion. Kim wants cessation of the war games, which he's already gotten, and normalization of relations with the USA -which would probably have to come in the context of a peace treaty, because you really can't sign a peace treaty with a country that you don't recognize.
"The No. 1 problem with this, geopolitically, is that it suggests to our allies that we are just incompetent, that we don't recognize the threat", Green said.
South Korean President Moon Jae In said his country will "carefully consider" the possibility of suspending joint military drills with the United States, as he acknowledged that a "flexible change" to its defence posture towards the North is necessary to build trust in the denuclearisation process.
Harris also said the US and South Korea had to be focused in the long term on the removal of the threat posed by North Korea's massive array of conventional rocket and artillery emplacements along the DMZ.
The job of US ambassador to South Korea has been vacant since Trump took office in January 2017, a point of bipartisan consternation given the need for strong collaboration with Seoul during the sensitive nuclear discussions.
"Making unnecessary and unreciprocated concessions is not in our interests - and it is a bad negotiating tactic", McCain said.
But the USA and North Korean accounts tell a different story from that offered at the summit - of two sides that appear as far apart as ever.
Fumio Shimizu, deputy director general at the Foreign Ministry's Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau, conveyed to the North Korean side Japan's position on the abduction issue during the exchange on the sidelines of the two-day gathering through Friday, the official said.