The alleged Canadian serial killer accused of burying his victims in garden planters is now facing a seventh murder charge, prosecutors in Toronto announced Wednesday.
The prosecution said in the courthouse Wednesday that the 66-year-old landscaper has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Abdulbasir Faizi. A Crown lawyer said outside court that the charge relates to the death of Abdulbasir Faizi. McArthur had already been charged with the first-degree murder of six other men who are believed to have died between 2010 and 2017.
The investigative team is now reviewing 15 homicide cold cases from 1975 to 1997, he said. "At least one set of remains has yet to be identified and the remains of Majeed Kayhan have not been identified". "We just don't know yet".
Police have been trying to identify the remains of at least seven men found at a property McArthur used as storage for his landscaping business and say he targeted men he met through dating apps that cater to gay men, meeting them at bars in the "Gay Village" area of Toronto, as well as male prostitutes.
Mr. McArthur was arrested in January and charged with the murders of Andrew Kinsman and Selim Esen, who went missing from Toronto's gay village in 2017.
A month later, on February 23, McArthur was charged with a sixth count of first-degree murder in connection with the death of Skandaraj Navaratnam. Investigators said they were taking this rare step in the hopes that someone could help identify the person.
Court documents show police allege Mr. McArthur killed Mr. Faizi on or around December 29, 2010, in Toronto. -Sgt. Hank Idsinga had said. "I think it's easily set the record for a forensic examination of an apartment".
On Wednesday, Idsinga also released an enhanced version of a photograph of a man believed to be another one of McArthur's alleged victims. As the Globe has previously reported, that investigation was originally started to investigate the disappearance of Skandaraj Navaratnam, but was widened to include Mr. Faizi and Majeed Kayhan, before being closed in 2013.
Over the years police launched two projects into the disappearances of men from the gay village.
Police are also waiting for warmer weather to investigate other properties associated with McArthur, Idsinga said.
The first police probe - named Project Houston - was launched in 2012 to investigate the disappearances of Faizi, Kayhan and Navaratnam.
The following year, McArthur is alleged to have killed Kinsman and Esen; police allege he killed Lisowick between April 2016 and March 2017.