"It's the craziest thing I ever went through", said AirPods owner Jason Colon.
While the left earbud is intact, the right is blown apart and charred. "It already popped. I didn't see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried!" His right Apple AirPod was emitting a steady flow of white smoke while Colon worked out to a dance music playlist. "You can see fire harm", he told WFLA.
"I don't know what would've happened to my ear", Colon said.
An Apple spokesperson, in response to question for comment from Channel 8 News, said the company has launched an investigation into the incident and will reach out to Colton, accordingly.
Apple says it is investigating the claims, which could have resulted in serious burns had the man not quickly removed the allegedly faulty gadget. A year ago, a lady revealed that her earphones detonated while she was wearing them on a plane and obviously there was the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 calamity in 2016.
We all are aware of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 mishap (battery explosion) reports of which were surfacing all over the internet and other media, now Apple is news for the same.
He believes the battery was the cause of the problem.
Again, the price is steep enough to put some people off, but we would argue $159 (£159) is not entirely unreasonable for high quality wireless headphones - AirPods are roughly in line with their rivals. While it's only one set in millions sold, it's going to get headlines just because it's an Apple product.