According to a report done by the Texas Public Interest Research Group (TexPIRG) Education Fund, two types of fidget spinners sold at Target and distributed by Bulls i Toy, contain high levels of lead.
For the "Fidget Wild Premium Spinner Brass", the center circle tested for 33,000 ppm of lead, and the arm tested for 22,000 ppm of lead.
Tamara Rubin, the Portland mother-of-four behind the popular Facebook group "Lead Safe Mama", said she tested her kids' fidget spinners with an X-ray spectrometer. They tested 12 fidget spinners found in children's toy aisles in Target stores across the country. Target and Bulls i Toy defend their inaction by pointing to the CPSC's declaration that fidget spinners aren't technically "children's products" subject to legal limits for lead.
The watchdog group is calling on US government safety organizations to change the classification of fidget spinners so they will have to meet federal regulations for children's products. They may contain high levels of lead. "As a result", the spokesperson wrote, "the fidget spinners identified are not regulated as toys or children's products and are not required to meet children's product standards".
Target is coming under criticism this morning over some of the fidget spinners it sells.
Two models of fidget spinners (not pictured) were pulled from Target's website and store shelves after a report claimed there were high levels of lead in them. But, after the company reviewed the products, it made a decision to pull them anyway.
"Saying fidget spinners aren't toys defies common sense, as millions of parents whose kids play with spinners can tell you", Cook-Schultz said.
Bulls i Toy did not immediately return USA TODAY's request for comment. In 2006, CPSC and Reebok recalled metal bracelets after a 4-year-old Minneapolis boy died of acute lead poisoning after swallowing a metal charm from the item. Cook-Schulz said it released the report on the lead content of these two spinners early because of public safety concerns.
"Even small amounts of lead in toys can be ingested when transferred from fingers to mouth or from fingers to food", said national lead expert Dr. Helen Binns, pediatrician at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago and professor of pediatrics at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, in a written statement.