The Department of Homeland Security has sent Trump recommendations for entry restrictions and additional visa requirements based on shortcomings in the information each country shares with the US and an assessment of the risk of terrorist infiltration the nation poses, administration officials told reporters on Friday.
President Donald Trump is scrapping his controversial blanket ban on travel from six Muslim-majority countries in favor of placing individual targeted restrictions on more nations, the Wall Street Journal first reported Friday. But the ban on travelers from six Muslim-majority countries expires Sunday, and the White House is expected to announce what happens next.
However officials would not say which countries' travelers would face the restrictions, nor would they say what the specific restrictions would be - indicating the final decision would be the president's. Officials notified the governments in those nations that travel to the United States could be severely restricted if they did not increase those standards. Taylor said some of them provided enough information or made changes to get removed from the list of countries with inadequate security.
The revised order was also delayed by the courts, but the U.S.
The Journal's sources said roughly half of those countries, upon learning they could be targeted, implemented changes that satisfied the US's demands.
Foreign nations were given a list of minimum requirements for entry into the USA, similar to what the Department of Homeland Security now requires of persons entering the country from visa waiver nations, including biometric passport data and background checks.
The Department of Homeland Security sent Trump a classified report last week with details on its review of the vetting process for people entering the US, said DHS spokesman David Lapan.
After a bomb partially exploded on a London subway last week, Trump once again called for a tougher ban.
Trump's ban, which went into effect in June following a round of legal challenges, has applied to citizens of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen who lacked a "credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States". "But stupidly, that would not be politically correct!"
The long and winding road to the Supreme Court for President Trump's travel ban may require yet another detour as the White House prepares to revise or replace it.
During his presidential campaign, Trump called for a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States".
Oral arguments are scheduled to begin on October 10.
The ban was crafted to expire 90 days after implementation, but the clock only started ticking after the Supreme Court allowed the ban to start, pending review.